globulon

globulon

The Last Picture Show (Mass Market)
Larry McMurtry
Dracula
Bram Stoker, Ruben Toledo
Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius
Ray Monk
The Portrait of a Lady
Henry James, Patricia Crick
Maigret et le marchand de vin
Georges Simenon
Le Rouge et le Noir
Stendhal

Tesuji and Anti-Suji of Go (Sakata series)

Tesuji and Anti-Suji of Go (Sakata series) - Robert J. Terry;Sakata Eio This is a very mixed bag of stuff. First, at the beginning is a pretty philosophical examination of the definition of tesuji, particularly as the concept relates to the that of suji, but also shape. Secondly, mixed in with the actual sections on various tesuji are these little essays supposedly offering some go wisdom. These were ok, but not very exciting or interesting. One of them has stuck with me since I first read it a few years ago. It is about how one can't get stronger studying "in secret" without actually playing games. Not the deepest thought but I can relate to the temptation it is responding to. As far as the actual tesuji covered, the presentation feels pretty random. Some of them are the same sorts of practical tesuji one finds in Davies book. Some of the these though are aimed at larger objectives like capturing stones (for instance "the stone monument" tesuji which Davies calls "the two stone edge squeeze") while others are geared to one to four point gains that can be claimed later. On the other hand there are tesuji that I felt were more vague or perhaps "strategic" in their aims rather than geared at clear practical results. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the arrangement of them. The style of the writing was fairly engaging and had a little flavor but nothing like a Kageyama book for instance.