globulon

globulon

The Last Picture Show (Mass Market)
Larry McMurtry
Dracula
Bram Stoker, Ruben Toledo
Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius
Ray Monk
The Portrait of a Lady
Henry James, Patricia Crick
Maigret et le marchand de vin
Georges Simenon
Le Rouge et le Noir
Stendhal
Yes - Thomas Bernhard, Ewald Osers I borrowed this from a friend after having Bernhard pop up in several places in my life on one day.

----------

Perhaps it would be better if I took more time to think before reviewing books, but somehow I like to write out what I have to say in a provisional state. Perhaps I'm just looking for conversation...

I liked this book a lot. It's the narrators voice foremost as that is what this book is almost entirely. He has a somewhat savage side to him, but this comes across more as a realistic view of the people around him. I know that I can relate. This book reminded me of "Catcher in the Rye". A person caught in a world he's unfit for, precisely because he's not phony. Despite my friends objections it also reminded me of Henry Miller, although less as I went on. Primarily that need to self-analyse and to bring out everything however unpleasant it may be, some of which is redeemed and some thrown away.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I agree with the view of the narrator. I'm not sure that I look at things as having only diversionary value. Well, perhaps that's not fair to the book. I think I do agree that in some ways nothing can save us from ourselves.

I'm a little unclear on whether he is an example of "strong" personality he describes that must develop it's talents in isolation, or whether he is a "weak" personality that has failed to find that other person to push them forward. Perhaps those categories aren't meant to be as absolute as they are presented.

I also liked what he had to say about anarchy and the intellect, which is that the intellect is inherently anarchic.

I guess in the end, I gave it a high rating because I enjoyed reading it and it seems like it will be something to chew on for a while.