globulon

globulon

The Last Picture Show (Mass Market)
Larry McMurtry
Dracula
Bram Stoker, Ruben Toledo
Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius
Ray Monk
The Portrait of a Lady
Henry James, Patricia Crick
Maigret et le marchand de vin
Georges Simenon
Le Rouge et le Noir
Stendhal
Blue Highways: A Journey into America - William Least Heat-Moon I have wanted to read this book for a long time but also have kind of avoided it because I worried it would be boring. I enjoyed it a lot when I finally got around to it. I thought he succeeded in meeting interesting people and describing them in an engaging way. Although there is worthwhile reflection on what he's experiencing it's kept pretty minimal. He keeps the experiences themselves very much in the foreground. It was also interesting to compare with my own travels which have been much less directed but have also taken in a lot of the US. There was also a neat personal connection in that he visits a town where my uncle and his family actually live. (I don't think they lived there when he took his trip but it's close.)

Strangely, despite the fact that it's a good sized book, I felt a bit as if he raced through his journey. That probably has to do with the fact that all of the driving time couldn't be written about but also to do with the fact that I enjoyed the encounters a lot.